Dr. WAEL AZZAM
Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Egypt
- Doctorate degree in Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology, University of Tanta, Egypt.
- Advanced Ilizarov Surgery Fellowship (16 months), Alessandro Manzoni Hospital, Lecco, Italy, from 31st of January 2008 to 30th April 2009 and from 1st July to 30th July 2009.
- Fellowship in foot, ankle and hip Surgeries, Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute, Bologna University, Bologna, Italy, during May and June 2009 (2 months).
- Post-doctoral research fellowship in the method of Ilizarov, Alessandro Manzoni Hospital, Lecco, Italy, from 7th of March 2015 to 30th April 2015.
- Ilizarov surgery for limb reconstruction, deformity correction and limb length equalization in pediatric and adult patients.
- Orthopedic trauma surgery: percutaneous , internal , external, or intramedullary fixation of all types of fractures in the upper and lower limb.
- Foot and ankle surgery.
- Hemiarthroplasty of the hip joint.
- Management of acute and chronic bone and joint infections
- Management of most of acute and chronic medical orthopedic problems (such as osteoarthritis, gout, low back pain, sciatica, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, rickets,…. etc).
- Ilizarov distraction osteogenesis over the preexisting nail for treatment of nonunited femurs with significant shortening. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2016 Apr;26(3):319-28. doi: 10.1007/s00590-016-1740-8.
- Modified technique for reconstructing reverse Hill-Sachs lesion in locked chronic posterior shoulder dislocation. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2016 Aug 19.
- Our experience in the management of segmental bone defects caused by gunshots. Int Orthop. 2016 Feb;40(2):233-8. doi: 10.1007/s00264-015-2870-z.
- Flexor hallucis longus tendon transfer in the reconstruction of extensive insertional Achilles tendinopathy in elderly: an improved technique. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2015 Apr;25(3):583-90. doi: 10.1007/s00590-014-1569-y.
- Tetrafocal bone transport of the tibia with circular external fixation: a case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Jan;92(1):190-5. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.H.01109.
- Bone regenerate complications during lengthening: incidence, predisposing factors, and treatment. European Orthopaedics and Traumatology December 2015, Volume 6, Issue 4, pp 445–449
- The outcomes of bridging high-energy humeral shaft fractures using a locking compression plate through an open approach. Current Orthopaedic Practice: January/February 2016 - Volume 27 - Issue 1 - p 62–68
8.Bone graft is it fundamental in opening wedge high tibial osteotomy? Evaluation of the short term results of opening wedge high tibial osteotomy without using bone graft. Accepted for publication in the Egyptian Orthopedic Journal 25 June 2014.
Other Professional activities:
I have completed the Hospital Management Diploma and received the graduation certificate from the Canadian International Academy for Advanced Studies (CIAAS) with general grade (very good).
Arabic: Native language.
English: International TOEFL total score 227 (computer-based
test) equals 567 (paper-based test).
Italian: 2 courses of Italian Language, Italian Cultural Center,
Alexandria, Egypt. Practiced Italian language for 20 months in Italy.